Thursday, April 11, 2013

Know Your Roots: Text Adventures

I'm a believer in knowing the origins and basic history of nearly anything you're interested in, be it music, literature, coin collecting, and yes, video games.  Routinely I find that (even though I grew up on a lot of them), if I play older games that are now considered archaic and even unplayable by some, everything becomes more fun.   Graphics and sound are still important, but aren't deal breakers.  Clunky controls are now just fine.  Even cheesy storylines are OK, as long as it's fun.  Recently, I found a site with a bunch of classic text adventures playable in the browser (no downloads required).  I was never a MUDer or MUXer, or whatever they called it, but I did spend many hours deciphering these adventures.  Try it out!


On the lighter side of it, Homestarrunner.com (who sadly hasn't been updated in several years), made a couple great text parodies.  THY DUNGEONMAN!

No comments:

Post a Comment